[Kde-pim] KDE 3.3 Release Plan is up

Cristian Tibirna tibirna at kde.org
Sun May 9 15:32:02 BST 2004

On Sunday 09 May 2004 10:19, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> - Upgrade Kontact and everything else of KDE. -> The enterprise user
> will have to pay significantly more because instead of simply
> installing a new version of Kontact a new version of KDE has to be
> installed and on top of that the configuration of the new version has
> to be tweaked so that the users are not affected by changes in KDE,
> e.g. in case we've once again decided that it's time for a new default
> window/icon style in KDE.

IMHO this is half true half FUD. One shouldn't forget that the real world way
in which KDE gets installed 90% of times (at least in the enterprise) is
through a distribution. Distributions like SUSE have excellent automatised
mechanisms for upgrades, which make so that the effort required to install
kdelibs in addition to kdepim is indistinguishable from noise.

As in what concerns icons/styles, it's once again, a distro characteristic.
E.g. SUSE didn't change styles and icons significantly since around SUSE-8.0,
if I'm not mistaken. And we all know the situation with RedHat.

If admins in an enterprise choose to roll out a customized config, then
(unless they're very stupid) they also write down some small scripts that
automagically do all the modifs they need for them (once again, effort
indistinguishable from noise).

What I want to say with that is that your concerns don't appear to come from a
deep insider knowledge of the situation in the enterprise but from
suppositions. (I have to be fair and say that my experience with large
installs isn't very significative; I mostly know what happens in an academic
setup).

I believe a better feedback with the enterprise (via distributions) is
required before pursuing this discussion.

Thanks for listening.

--
Cristian Tibirna
KDE developer .. tibirna at kde.org .. http://www.kde.org