kpdf embedded fonts problem

Oliver Bausinger bausi at bausi.org
Thu May 6 23:20:51 BST 2004

On Thursday 06 May 2004 21:50, Christophe Devriese wrote:
> Is there a way to make QFont read a font from a filestream (I can adapt the
> filestream) and then display it.
>
> Mind you the font could be truetype or type1 (and maybe there are .pdf
> files with other fonts).
>
> This is because fonts can be embedded in truetype fonts, which necessitates
> this sort of thing.
>
> Would it perhaps be acceptable to make kpdf a (very) thin wrapper around
> xpdf, and bypass all QT drawing functions ? This would give kpdf the same
> dependencies as xpdf (for starters it would introduce dependencies on
> freetype2, type1lib, X (this is not the case now, as kpdf will happily run
> on qtopia for example), and a few others).

Interestingly, that's exactly what I already did! :-)

Some weeks ago I was very unhappy about kpdf's rendering (I still am),
so I went ahead and threw again all the QOutput* rendering code and replaced
it with exactly what you just described (a thin wrapper around xpdf 3.00)

As I don't have time to bring this in a releaseable state right now, you can
have a look at the code and do whatever you want with it. I've put it up at

http://www.bausi.org/files/kpdfviewer-20040401.tar.bz2

[Rant: I also threw away kpdf's part interface and made it a kviewshell part,
I find it a bit silly to have three different part interfaces for dvi, gv and
pdf in kdegraphics ...]

Greetings
Bausi

> This action would however increase the speed of kpdf, and make it very
> correct and nice to look at. And I believe it would still be possible to
> display the pdf file in konq (like now, but better).

Yes indeed :-)