Bug in KDEPrint/CUPS

Stefan Kebekus kebekus at kde.org
Mon Mar 29 11:29:31 BST 2004

Hello,

I have recently received a bug report (#70681) because KDVI does not properly
print in landscape mode. I believe that this is an issue of the CUPS-KDEprint
system rather than KDVI; KGhostView seems to have similar issues.

KDVI uses the kprinter to show the printing dialog, and then generates
PostScript files itself, using the 'dvips' program. The value of
printer->orientation() is converted to the appropriate command-line arguments
of dvips. Eventually, the resulting PostScript file is printed using the
printFiles()-method of kprinter. This method works fine if I print to a file,
or if I print using the "Generic UNIX LPD Print System", but does not work at
all if I use the "Common UNIX Print System". If CUPS is chosen,
printer->orientation() always returns 0, and accordingly, no landscape
printing takes place.

Best,

Stefan Kebekus.

--