Need help: control master volume

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Wed Mar 17 19:07:18 GMT 2004

On Saturday 13 of March 2004 11:55, Mirko Boehm wrote:
> On Saturday 13 March 2004 02:55 pm, Lubos Lunak wrote:
>
> > > While this solution sounds good, it might not make sense in all cases.
> > > For example, there is only a volume button and a mute button here, and
> > > the desktop is supposed to open a window to control the volume and
> > > muting. And this application needs to be able to control the hardware
> > > mixer.
> >
> >  I'm confused. What window? If KMilo converts the hardware keys to
> > XF86VolumeUp etc., with keys configured to react on those keys (which
> > KMix should have preconfigured) KMix will adjust the volume and give
> > feedback. Exactly like if the user simply pressed the multimedia volume
> > up key on normal multimedia keyboard, where Qt/X/kernel can recognize the
> > keys directly. Where exactly should be the problem?
>
> As I said - there are no two buttons (vol up/down), but one, and when
> pressed, an application pops up in which you adjust the volume using the
> regular cursor keys.

 Aha, I didn't know that.

> I think it would be fitting to just bring kmix to the front when it is
> pressed.

 In case it converted that keypress to normal X keypress, such action (or
whatever else the user would like) could be configured in KHotKeys.

 I noticed a problem with this transforming and resending of keypresses
further. XTest requires that the keymap symbol exists. So if the configured
xkb keymap is just pc105, there are no multimedia keys known to X. Bad :(.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer
SuSE CR, s.r.o.  e-mail: l.lunak at suse.cz , l.lunak at kde.org