KDE 4 modules structure (again)

Dominique Devriese dominique.devriese at student.kuleuven.ac.be
Wed Mar 17 18:52:18 GMT 2004

David Faure writes:

> On Wednesday 17 March 2004 17:22, Dominique Devriese wrote:
>> Again: splitting up on an app- or lib-level reduces dependency
>> problems ( no more moving stuff from kdenonbeta to elsewhere
> That means no more quality control. Right now an app is only moved
> to a released kde module when it's good enough, which ensures a
> certain level of quality. If people would just go ahead and create
> one module per app from the start, users would have no idea what's
> good and what's bad, within kde. Currently it's quite clear: when
> you use something from kdenonbeta, you know the risks you're taking.

There'd be a different kind of quality control, of course.  For
example, make the new build script have a target 'kde' that depend on
the correct apps and libs.  We can also keep the current semantic
division of the apps ( kdenetwork vs kdegraphics etc ), it should just
not be reflected in the CVS modules structure.

Anyway, I'm giving up on this subject, I think..

Thanks everyone, for discussing, and sorry for the long thread.

cheers
domi