libkipi in kdesupport

Klas Kalaß klas.kalass at gmx.de
Mon Mar 15 14:38:03 GMT 2004

Am Sonntag 14 März 2004 13:29 schrieb Jesper K. Pedersen:
> On Sunday 14 March 2004 13:04, Lauri Watts wrote:
> | > |

> | > I'd rather not put it in kdelibs, simply because the apps using it do
> | > not follow the release scheme of the rest of KDE - they are located in
> | > KEG.
> |
> | Could we consider kdesupport to be a 'kdeextragear, but for libs'
> |
> | That is, maintainers make their own releases, on their own schedules, for
> | the purposes of packagers to depend upon.  These libs are hosted in CVS
> | in kdesupport as a convenience for developers already working in CVS, and
> | "kdesupport" should not be released alongside the rest of KDE nor
> | considered a dependency?
> |
> | That's pretty much the situation as it stands, while kdesupport only
> | contains taglib (which is getting it's own releases, and is getting
> | packaged on it's own by most everyone I know of.)
>
> To me that sounds like a good idea.
> How about calling things what they are then:
> kdeextragear-libs
Sounds good, but I propose to keep kdesupport for libraries that do not depend
on kde libraries and are third party libs more than anything else (like
Scotts intention seems to be for taglib).

Kdeextragear-libs should be for all additional (kde) libraries which may
depend on  kdelibs.

So we would get the following dependency:

kdelibs  [<- kdeextragear-libs] <- kdeextragear
         [<- kdeXXX           ]

But when one of the applications in the Extra Gear which use a library from
kdeextragear-libs is moved to one of the main modules, that library must be
moved to an appropriate main module too. We should be very carefull to not let
anything from the main modules depend on extragear again.