KDE 4 modules structure (again)

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sun Mar 14 17:56:31 GMT 2004

On Sunday 14 March 2004 18:36, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> On Sunday 14 March 2004 18:28, Maks Orlovich wrote:
>
> > > 2 The advantages of split distribution packages is an orthogonal
> > >   discussion, as packages are split by the packagers at the
> > > moment.
> >
> > No, it's not, since split source modules make large modules more
> > work, not less work. And as for they are split already --- well,
> > not by everyone, and to very different extents.
>
> The Suse, RedHat, Slackware packages are the packaged per-module.

You don't seem to have looked at SuSE for some time. Since KDE 3.1
(IIRC) they are splitting the modules into smaller packages (not per
app though). For KDE 3.1 kdenetwork was split into
kdenetwork3 (shared libraries and very small apps)
kdenetwork3-chat
kdenetwork3-devel
kdenetwork3-mail
kdenetwork3-news
kdenetwork3-vnc
And probably a few more that I don't have installed.

Regards,
Ingo