KDE 3.2 compilation problem...

Stefan Winter mail at stefan-winter.de
Fri Mar 12 08:21:33 GMT 2004

> > > I have just done KDE_3_2_BRANCH yesterday and today without any problems
> > > other than knetwork/wifi

> > What exactly were your problems with kdenetwork/wifi? It did work for
me...

> Don't know, ends like this
>
> make[3]: Entering directory `/home/erik/branch/kdenetwork/wifi'
> /bin/sh ../libtool --silent --mode=link --tag=CXX g++  -Wnon-virtual-dtor
> -Wno-long-long -Wundef -ansi -D_XOPEN_SOURCE=500 -D_BSD_SOURCE -Wcast-align
> -Wconversion -Wchar-subscripts -Wall -W -Wpointer-arith -Wwrite-strings -O2
> -Wformat-security -Wmissing-format-attribute -fno-exceptions -fno-check-new
> -fno-common -DQT_CLEAN_NAMESPACE -DQT_NO_ASCII_CAST -DQT_NO_STL
> -DQT_NO_COMPAT -DQT_NO_TRANSLATION    -o kwifimanager -L/usr/X11R6/lib
> -L/opt/qt/lib -L/opt/kde/lib  wirelesstools.o kwifimanager.o locator.o
main.o
> picture.o speed.o statistics.o status.o strength.o stuff.o asusled.o
> -lartsflow -lmcop -liw -lkdeui
> wirelesstools.o(.text+0x63): In function `get_info(int, char*,
> wireless_info*)':
> : undefined reference to `iw_get_range_info(int, char*, iw_range*)'

Are you using RedHat 9? I had two users reporting the same (see bug #77252).
Now I installed RH9 from ISOs and discovered something strange:
# nm /lib/libiw.so.25
nm: /lib/libiw.so.25: no symbols

It seems that the .so does not contain a valid symbol table. My (sane) SuSE
8.2 box nicely reports the symbol table:
# nm /usr/lib/libiw.so.25
(snip...)
00002460 T iw_freq_to_channel
00001b80 T iw_get_basic_config
00001b10 T iw_get_priv_info
000033c0 T iw_get_priv_size
000017e0 T iw_get_range_info
00002670 T iw_get_stats
(more snip...)

Now, if there is no symbol table in RH9´s .so, I am not surprised that the
linker fails. I suspect this is a grave bug in RedHat´s installation. But I
am not really an expert in shared objects... Is it possible to generate a .so
without symbol table? And if yes, how is the linker supposed to work with
that? Should I file a bug report on RedHat´s BugZilla?

Greetings,

Stefan Winter