kimgio + kfile-plugin for SGI images (*.rgb, *.rgba, *.bw, *.sgi) [which mimetype?]

Melchior FRANZ mfranz at kde.org
Wed Mar 10 09:21:07 GMT 2004

* Tom Badran -- Wednesday 10 March 2004 00:23:
> Also, the GiMP provides what it calls 'aggresive rle' or something for higher
> levels of compression. As far as i can tell this is simply just re using
> compressed scanlines in the scanline table if they match (greyscale and the
> like), so if you implement the spec properly it should just work, but it may
> be worth checking you code against this.

Yes, I'm working on sharing RLE encoded scanlines across layers. And I intend
to write "aggressively" compressed files by default. GIMP thinks that some
applications might not like them, but this way of compression is described
in the spec and applications that can't cope with it are simply buggy and
should be fixed. It's not like decompressing such images is any more difficult.
No reason to write files that are up to four times bigger than they have to.

> Also, how are you providing support for 16bpc images, i use these a lot and it
> would be cool to have them in kde. I have code that can read them (not as a
> kimgio plugin), but afaik there is no way to support high colour depths in
> kde/qt.

The kimgio reader should work with high precision files (haven't tested,
because I have none). But as Qt only supports 8 bit per color, I have to drop
the least significant data bytes. This can easily be changed once Qt is
improved in this regard.

m.