open tasks, jobs, unmaintained stuff, etc.

Adriaan de Groot adridg at sci.kun.nl
Sat Mar 6 02:54:43 GMT 2004

On Fri, 5 Mar 2004, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On March 5, 2004 02:19, Germain Garand wrote:
> > aren't you providing a very tempting way for application programmers to
> > totally neglect the careful crafting of option dialogs?
>
> this assumes that most developers actually carefully craft their options
> dialogs right now ;-)

Bwahaha! Right, here's a developer that does just that. Not.

Perhaps I have a good example of the kind of configuration option I as a
developer of my app would _prefer_ to have in kconfigeditor as opposed to
in the main dialog.

[After a certain amount of digression: Zack, are the <label> tags in the
.kcfg the description that gets displayed in kconfigeditor?] [More
digression: I've just added this configuration option to my main config
dialog, because there are people who need it and I'd prefer not to hand
them vi.]

The config option is thus: For some combinations of
linux-kernel-of-the-week (whatever ships with suse 9.1, I think) and Palm
Pilot hardware (the T3) the time it takes the device to disconnect from
the system is greater than two seconds which was the default in my app.
For this specific combination of kernel and device, using 5 seconds works
better. On the other hand, I don't want to set 5 seconds as the default
for everyone, since that's a long lag between the device saying
"disconnected" and the application doing something with it.

So right now I have a spinbox setting the delay; visible to everyone. It
needs a whatsthis and everything. I suspect it's going to confuse the hell
out of everyone. However, if I can put in the docs:

	Caveat: some combinations of linux kernels and devices require
	specific special settings. The following combinations are
	problematic: .....
	For these cases, start up kconfigeditor and look in the special
	device settings section of the config file.

Then the well-and-truly-99% of my users to whom the whole config option is
just a bit of noise (that is, all those folks not using suse 9.1 or not
owning a palm tungsten t3) can just get on with it.