open tasks, jobs, unmaintained stuff, etc.

Guillaume Laurent glaurent at telegraph-road.org
Fri Mar 5 23:42:56 GMT 2004

On Friday 05 March 2004 22:12, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:

>  So, if my _kids_ who are _eight_ years old want to have the _same_
> power over their desktop they they have now in the future, they will have
> to use KConfEdit.

I know that the misunderstanding has been cleared up, but IMHO it would be a
good thing to remove some of these options. That an 8 years old kid likes
them is less important than the fact that one can still use the environment
without them.

"Empowering the user" is often an abused concept to hide a more selfish "I
don't want to change my old habits". The problem is that these options are
not free, they cost quite a bit of resources in maintenance, documentation,
testing, etc... and in most cases you also have to acknowledge that you
pretty much can do without them when forced to. It may be a bit annoying at
first but then you find that it wasn't such a big deal after all.

It's more important to have something not so flexible which works out of the
box than to have something infinitely tuneable but which *requires* tuning.

--
						Guillaume.
						http://www.telegraph-road.org