open tasks, jobs, unmaintained stuff, etc.

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Fri Mar 5 20:28:35 GMT 2004

On March 5, 2004 12:46, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> No -- it's about what you think that's commons sense, masked by posturing
> about what you think a majority users should like, but which you don't have
> any hard data for.

when i don't know for sure, i say so. read the usability archives for many
such examples of me doing just that. i do collect data, but yes, my data
could be wrong and i don't have lists of everything i've collected in nearly
so coherent an order as i do the web browser toolbar data i've been
collecting recently, but i do have data and i do pay attention. unlike most
of the other people in KDE who do little more than bellyache about things.

now...

when i say "most people" i don't mean "you don't". you may use something and
STILL most other people may not! just because your household happens to
change some specific feature does not all of a sudden make it a common thing.
many of the things i do to my machines fall into that same category. i'm not
playing favourites, but i do try and maintain my sense of reality. you say i
should pay attention to real data, but then also ask me use your house as an
representative sample!

when i say "it shouldn't be in the main interface because it's buggy" i'm not
speaking to how many people use it because that's irrelevant. transparency as
we can currently do it is pathetic. we worked _hard_ getting bugs out of it
(at least three people that i know of, only one of whom was me), but there
are still issues that remain. because it's a hack, due to limitations in what
X can currently do. when it isn't a stupid, broken hack then i have no
problems with it being there again. i'm not talking about popularity, i'm
talking about quality and being ready for prime time.

please, pay attention to the words i use rather than argue as if i said
something different. thank-you.

and as i noted elsewhere, unless you've played with kconfedit you really are
in a poor place to comment on it.

> Anyway, messing with configuration options has
> nothing to do with usability.

yes it does; it's one part of the overall usability picture as it is how
people engage the flexiblity of the system, something they innevitably wish
to do.

if you don't understand how that pertains to usability, you shouldn't be
discussing usability at all. seriously.

you are right that some people inccorectly fixate on it as if it were the last
thing on earth, but that's no better than completely ignoring it as if it was
immaterial.

> Real usability is not surprising people: about consistent keyboard

these are all parts of it, yes. not the complete picture, but important parts
of it. irrelevant to our discussion here, but parts of it. ;-)

> toobar buttons like 'find' and 'zoom' right next to each other. And not
> alienating your existing user base by dis-empowering them.

please read my email again and discover how i note this will empower people.
in KDE 3.2 you can disable the menu separators in the kmenu. do you know how?
no? with kconfedit you will. that's empowerment, no?

- --
Aaron J. Seigo
while (!horse()); cart();