open tasks, jobs, unmaintained stuff, etc.

Zack Rusin zack at kde.org
Fri Mar 5 21:34:20 GMT 2004

On Friday 05 March 2004 16:27, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> On Friday 05 March 2004 22:20, Zack Rusin wrote:
> > How many times do I have to write that we need kcfg files for that?
> > That was the reason I wrote the original email. Check entries for
> > applications which already have kcfg files installed. I mean come
> > on, I wrote the damn thing I think I know how it works.
>
> Sure -- and do you really believe that you will ever get consistency
> in this thing? Do you really believe that you will get kcfg files for
> all the apps out there? Do you really believe that any config editor
> that shows a long list ordered alphabetically by application name
> (the same name that was going to be replaced by application type in
> the menu) will ever enable people to find what they're looking for?
>
> You will always have fields where you need to type 'true' next to
> fields where you can click a radio button or a checkbox. You will
> never achieve consistency, just like there will never be one toolkit
> for Python. Life ain't like that.

But that's not the point and it was never meant to be. What I want
though is an application with which I can look at the config of my
family without having to move from my chair. I want to be able to diff
their configs to one master config which I've setup for them. I want to
know what options differ on their systems. And if I can get description
of what they do in the same application, even better. And I don't want
to use grep + diff to do that.

Zack

--
If the black box flight recorder is never damaged during a plane crash,
why isn't the whole airplane made out of the same stuff?