open tasks, jobs, unmaintained stuff, etc.

Zack Rusin zack at kde.org
Fri Mar 5 21:06:05 GMT 2004

On Friday 05 March 2004 15:46, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> Well... As long as I have to type 'false' or 'true', I don't think
> it's got a wonderful user interface -- in fact, I don't care much
> whether I have to type '0' and '1' or 'true' and 'false', a long list
> of options, even when accompanied by an unobtrusive and easy to miss
> help text, will remind me of Regedit, GConf or NetInfo. And all
> three, well, make a noise while drinking soup. I hesitate to apply
> the same epithet to KConfEdit, since it's in non-beta, but you might
> want to at least look at the edit widgets that float somewhere in the
> middle of the screen after clicking about. That kind of thing would
> confuse the dickens out of my kids. (I would have put up a screenshot
> to show what I'm talking about, but kconfedit crashes upon resize.)

All you're saying is simply not true.
1) No you don't have to type false or true. You check a checkbox, that's
why we need kcfg files to make sure we know what types these things
should be.
2) "Long list of options" should be a combobox.
3) Crash and floating widgets have nothing to do with kconfigeditor but
with property editor which we'll finally need to move to kdelibs since
kdevelop, kexi and kconfigeditor will be using it.
4) The idea is that "your kids" should never have to use kconfigeditor
so your point is completely moot.

Zack

--
Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics.
Even if you win, you're still retarded.