New KIO::Slave: x-kde-icon

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Wed Jun 23 00:31:21 BST 2004

On Tuesday 22 June 2004 14:36, Frerich Raabe wrote:
> On Tuesday 22 June 2004 11:28, Stephan Kulow wrote:
> > Am Monday 21 June 2004 22:17 schrieb Frerich Raabe:
> > > I think this is overengineered. Why not simply use a placeholder
> > > in the docbook files, an entity as in
> >
> > I think, it should be part of the help slave. You don't need
> > x-icon-size:, but you can use help:/icons?...
>
> That's probably Marc's call as he's probably going to be the one
> maintaining this. I for one still don't think that one needs this
> much effort to solve such a little problem.
>
> > Beside that, this solution doesn't help you when generating help
> > pages for a web site using meinproc.
>
> That's true but you can solve this without writing a whole new IO
> slave as well. I have a hard time coming up with other situations in
> which an x-kde-icon IO slave might make sense, this seems like quite
> a special case and introducing a new IO slave for that looks a little
> over the edge to me. Or is all this flexibility which Marc's
> implementation provides required for some case which I'm not aware
> of?
>
> I still think a little placeholder magic can solve this nicely with
> much less (maintenance) effort, but I'll obey to "He who codes
> decides".

When should the placeholder magic kick in? It would have to kick in each
time the user shows a help page because the user might have changed the
theme in the meantime and of course the icons of the current icon theme
should be shown. But if the current icon theme lacks a certain icon
then the icon of the default icon theme has to be shown. I don't see
how this could be solved by statically replacing placeholders,
especially by something as simple as what you propose, i.e. a single
&kde.icondir; entity. There's no single &kde.icondir; which is correct
in all cases.

Creating the docs for being displayed on a website is a completely
different story because there the icons can be addressed statically.
Icon themes are no issue there. So obviously there needs to be a way to
specify whether the docs are created for static displaying or for
dynamic displaying and in case of static displaying meinproc has to
find the correct icons and has to copy them to the docs.

Regards,
Ingo