Resolution change with XRANDR

Andras Mantia amantia at kde.org
Sun Jun 13 22:57:31 BST 2004

On Sunday 13 June 2004 23:46, Charles Samuels wrote:
> On Sunday 13 June 2004 1:15 pm, Andras Mantia wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> >  In kdetv for some TV cards there is a need to change the
> > resolution (to a smaller one) of the desktop in order to get a
> > full-screen picture. It's done with the XRANDR extension (with
> > XRRSetScreenConfig) but the problem is that after returning to the
> > original resolution the window sizes and layout of the running
> > applications are changed, usually everything is smaller. Is there a
> > way to store and restore the correct layout of the windows after a
> > resolution change?
>
> Shouldn't these programs use the VidMode extension to resize for a
> full screen picture instead of XRANDR?

I've tried with the VidMode now and I suddenly remembered why it was not
good: the virtual resolution. With VidMode resolution change when you
move the mouse outside of the visible area the picture will also move
(and sometimes the picture does not appear in the middle of the screen,
because the visible area of the virtual screen is not the middle of
it). The old kwintv had ugly hack to avoid this problem. XRANDR does it
good, just that it has the ugly sideeffect that the window layouts are
broken. :-(

Andras