Much needed KDE application

Peter Rockai (mornfall) mornfall at mornfall.homeip.net
Wed Jul 21 15:42:11 BST 2004

On Wednesday 21 July 2004 15:22, Dik Takken wrote:
[snip]

> David:
>
> I don't know much about DBUS. It would satisfy my wishes if it would:
>
> * Provide a way to send arbitraty messages to arbitrary users from the
> command-line
>
> * Include a systray app that would show messages sent via DBUS to the user
>
> Will KDE 4 have DBUS integrated?
>
> Kévin:
>
> Eventwatcher looks promising. However, I would prefer the log
> parsing and everything to be done outside of KDE. This application
> is sheer overkill, it tries to do everything. The reason why I
> want the message generation to be done outside of KDE is because
> few system administrators are KDE developers while many can write
> Bash scripts. System administrators should be able to quickly
> write their own message generators and log parsers (or adapt an
> existing script). Writing (or adapting) a plugin for
> all-in-one applications like EventWatcher is not wat administrators like
> to do. That's why I would like to include a *very* simple DCOP enabled
> message handler in KDE that can be called from scripts, has the
> simplest possible user interface and minimal memory footprint. Just
> connect KNotify, KSysTray, a listview widget and DCOP, done.
>
> Of course, home users can always use all-in-one KDE applications in stead.
Errm. I think you missed the point of plugin architecture of eventwatcher. If
you want to add a shell interface to it, there you go, you can write a
plugin. The plugin is written once and everyone preferring bash scripting can
use it. There are more things that could (should) be enhanced on
eventwatcher. Nothing is perfect. But this is opensource: you are free to go
and fix it.

[snip]

> Cheers!
>
> Dik

Yours,
    Peter

- --
Peter Rockai (mornfall), mornfall()logisys!dyndns!org, mornfall.homeip.net
He says gods like to see an atheist around. Gives them something to aim at.
                       -- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)