Much needed KDE application

Dik Takken D.H.J.Takken at phys.uu.nl
Wed Jul 21 14:22:38 BST 2004

Brad:

KLogTool looks really good, and I think it's very useful for comfortable
log viewing. Indeed, it isn't everything I asked for. I am not asking for
a system log parser/viewer, there are already enough of those. I am asking
for KDE to provide a simple service for these parsers to send
notifications to the user. KLogTool could be one of the applications that
can make use of this service, but it would be only one of many (non-kde)
applications and scripts that would use this service, and that includes
more than just log parsers. Think of the audiocd KIO slave for instance,
it needs a way to warn users about scratches on the disk without being
annoying.

David:

I don't know much about DBUS. It would satisfy my wishes if it would:

* Provide a way to send arbitraty messages to arbitrary users from the
command-line

* Include a systray app that would show messages sent via DBUS to the user

Will KDE 4 have DBUS integrated?

Kévin:

Eventwatcher looks promising. However, I would prefer the log
parsing and everything to be done outside of KDE. This application
is sheer overkill, it tries to do everything. The reason why I
want the message generation to be done outside of KDE is because
few system administrators are KDE developers while many can write
Bash scripts. System administrators should be able to quickly
write their own message generators and log parsers (or adapt an
existing script). Writing (or adapting) a plugin for
all-in-one applications like EventWatcher is not wat administrators like
to do. That's why I would like to include a *very* simple DCOP enabled
message handler in KDE that can be called from scripts, has the
simplest possible user interface and minimal memory footprint. Just
connect KNotify, KSysTray, a listview widget and DCOP, done.

Of course, home users can always use all-in-one KDE applications in stead.

Stephan:

dcop knotify default notify "" "Your CPU is overheating" '' '' '' 16 0

does nothing on my KDE 3.2.3 install. I have looked at this dcop call
before but it looked like it was meant to be used by apps only. Anyway, it
would be really nice to have a history for these messages, and a way to
indicate the urgency of it. KNotify does not offer that AFAIK.

KDialog has the same problem. I guess the command you gave

kdialog --passivepopup "Your CPU is overheating" 10

works only on KDE 3.3?

Cheers!

Dik