sound set for kde 3.3: complete

Dan Bullok dan.kde at bullok.com
Mon Jul 19 20:43:49 BST 2004

On Thursday 01 July 2004 14:32, Artemio spake unto us thusly:
> Dear KDE people,
>
> today I have completed creating the sounds that will replace the old ones
> in KDE 3.3. There are 64 jingles and sound effects in total, taking up
> 1.7 Mb. Although some of them might change a bit to better, this set is
> what I feel will make KDE the best-sounding desktop ever ;-)

> Here are the things I'd like to ask from you:
>
> 1. Rehearse the sounds, examine the 3.2->3.3 migration map, and tell me
> if you don't agree with certain replacements
>
> 2. Spread the word to developers of games, toys and education application
> developers, as there are around 25 new high-quality sound effects that
> thay can get some use of.
>

> Good luck to all, and sorry for buzzing that much about this ;-)
>

> Sincerely,
> Artemio.

Artemio,
Very nice job!  You have every right to "buzz about this".  This is some
really great work, and many of the old default sounds badly needed
replacing.

A few comments:

KDE_Window_DeIconify.ogg
The attack on the second note is too harsh.  It's kind of jarring.

KDE_Beep.ogg
A bit too much square wave in this one.  It's unpleasant.  The beep should
get your attention without giving you the "fingernails on chalkboard"
effect.

KDE_Window_Open.ogg
KDE_Window_Close.ogg
Not a big deal, but these seem backward to me.  A rising pitch usually
denotes arrival, or reaching a climax.  A falling pitch usually denotes
departure.  Think of the doppler effect, or of someone gasping, then
sighing.  This is the convention used in your dialog sounds, and swapping
Open and Close would make things more consistent.

KDE_Dialog_Appear.wav       -> KDE_Dialogue_Appear.ogg
KDE_Dialog_Disappear.wav    -> KDE_Dialogue_Disappear.ogg
The spelling "Dialog" is used throughout KDE and Qt, not to mention computer
docs in general, and should probably be maintained for consistency.

-Dan