meta-datas

Rolf Magnus ramagnus at kde.org
Fri Jul 16 12:44:24 BST 2004

On Thursday 15 July 2004 23:07, thomas klein wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I'm wondering if there was any kind of discussion concerning the new
> stuff mac os tiger will include, "spotlight".
>
> If not, I just have a "simple" first question.
>
> The meta-datas have to be stored somewhere... I think, If it is not
> include with the FS (ext2/3, reiserfs ... ..), We have to code this
> into some library.

This question comes up regularly. If you use a library, how will you keep the
data in sync with programs that don't use it?

> I was thinking kde got some libs (objects) for dealing with "files"...
> even if the file is on the hd, ssh, nfs, samba .... ..(this feature
> _really_ rox).

However, I think such a thing should actually be done on a lower level and be
independant of KDE.

> If, yes, What do you think of using the embended mysql stuff in the
> librarie, trying to implement a "simple" first version for handling
> meta-datas each time kde does something with a file (update / move /
> delete ... ...) and some parse for other infos, words in text files,
> meta-infos included in jpegs .. ...

What if a non-kde program "does something"? You might say that KDE could track
that, but what if KDE is not running while that program is doing things
(consider a file being moved - how would KDE find the metadata afterwards?)

> what do you think ?
>
> I want to  try to implement some simple stuffs using mysql embended
> code, do you, kde guys, got some advices ?

I think this will not really work well unless the data is stored with the file
on file system level. But it would be nice if KDE could support it for file
systems that do (reiser4? ext2 with EA patch maybe?)