Forward: K-ARTIST: Technical icon set should be removed from KDE

Rob Kaper cap at capsi.com
Sat Jul 10 13:32:59 BST 2004

On Fri, Jul 09, 2004 at 04:20:44PM +0100, Jonathan Riddell wrote:
> Is it suitable to remove an icon theme at this stage and if so should it
> be done via CVS or directly on the server?

This theme has been in KDE since 2.2 so users might expect it to be there,
especially because it is in Klassroom (3.3beta1) as well. I would wait with
the removal until KDE 4.0.

> It has never been my intention to make & publish it as an icon set. I
> created those icon (back in KDE 2x time) only as different looking
> Konqueror toolbar icons. So please, people who have cvs access, do
> something about it and remove it.

However, the issue gets messy: I couldn't find any license file on Technical
and together with this statement it would seem that KDE simply does not have
permission to (re)distribute Technical.

Did you talk to Antialias when importing this, Torsten?

It really comes down to a simple question for us though, with two possible
answers:

- KDE can't legally distribute Technical. We remove it immediately, remove
it from the Attic on the server, and hope Technical doesn't send out a cease
and desist out to every (or any) party distributing a version of KDE as
recent as 2.2.

- KDE can legally distribute Technical. In this case, we leave HEAD alone
and will discuss what to do (maintain a fork, ditch it) after 3.3 is out.

Rob
--
Rob Kaper     | "Whoever wants to know the heart and mind of America had
cap at capsi.com | better learn baseball" -- Jacques Barzun