plans for KDE4

Jamethiel Knorth jamethknorth at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 3 05:12:00 BST 2004

I would like to point to two discussions on kde-usability, about a new
searching system [1] and a new file selector [2]. There are also webpages
explaining both the search system [3] and the file selector [4].

As a quick overview, the search idea is to try to make searching very easy
to access from almost anywhere in KDE and to make it blend in better with
the rest of the desktop. The file selector dialog is designed to give faster
access to the most used places and to help in finding the files you really
want, mostly through the addition of searching and recent locations lists.

I was the person who originally proposed both of those and put together the
webpages explaining the ideas. I was going to send them to this list after
3.3 was released, but it seems appropriate here. Also, the webpage for the
new file selector design is out-of-date. I'm on vacation at the moment, but
I'll probably have the new changes put up there by midway through next week.

[1] http://lists.kde.org/?t=108528838700001&r=1&w=2
[2] http://lists.kde.org/?t=108589060800002&r=1&w=2
[3]
http://www.csis.gvsu.edu/~abreschm/designs/ubiquitous_searching/index.html