Fwd: Kdeadmin/KUser

Szombathelyi György gyurco at freemail.hu
Thu Jan 29 14:08:11 GMT 2004

Adriaan de Groot wrote:

> On Thursday 29 January 2004 09:10, Daniel Molkentin wrote:
>
>>I'd like to know if kuser is actively maintained (I see that Adriaan de
>>Groot is the maintainer, hey, what are your plans?). I fixed some bugs
>

> I'm "maintainer" because it was unmaintained and caused fatal systemwide
> problems requiring a reinstall under FreeBSD. Good show that. So I'd be more
> than glad if someone else would take it and give it some care - while taking
> care that it doesn't break on non-Linux systems. I - or the KDE-FreeBSD team
> - - can give you a hand with and FBSD specific stuff you need.
>

>>and have some plans with KUser. One of them is to add LDAP support via
>>"user database plugins" (actually I think about generic abstract base
>>user and group classes, than the actual implementation can use files,
>>ldap, etc...) with my new LDAP ioslave - apropo, any comments on this:
>>
>>http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-devel&m=107523050021145&w=2
>

> I saw that message, but thought I was unqualified to respond since I don't
> have anything LDAP'ish. I might only point to the IMAP ioslave, which after
> much effort will probably be abandoned since the ioslave model didn't map
> well to the kind of data transfers you do in IMAP.
>

>>Should I drop the whole code out, or is it worth for me to beg for CVS
>>access, and apply myself?
>

> I don't know what the current guidelines are. In the spirit of meritocracy, it
> might be worthwhile to send patches to me & kde-devel to start with, and I'll
> apply. Then you'll have at least one person saying "György _needs_ a CVS
> account" after that.

Thanks for the answer, I think I will send the bugfixes and the minor
enhancements for
KUser soon.

The LDAP ioslave doesn't worse for the ioslave model than e.g. the SMTP,
  and has one interesting feature using with Konqueror: Open an LDAP
entry, edit with an text editor (LDIF format), then save back to the
server! Anyone who wants to try, type ldap://www.nldap.com to read-only
access the Novell LDAP test site. Also possible to test SSL with
ldaps://www.nldap.com, or TLS with ldap://www.nldap.com????x-tls
Only one problem with SSL/TLS: the code doesn't use the KDE certificate
handling facilities, but rely on the openldap libs, so it's possible you
need to configure it via /etc/openldap/ldap.conf (see man ldap.conf).
I hope someone who are aware in LDAP issues will react.

Bye,
György