freedesktop.org Platform - preparing for Release 1

Christian Loose christian.loose at hamburg.de
Wed Jan 28 20:31:33 GMT 2004

Am Mittwoch, 28. Januar 2004 19:39 schrieb Alexander Neundorf:
> Hi Daniel,
>
> your mail is quite terse, I guess that's the reason why there wasn't much
> response.

I agree. There is also some stuff in it that seem to be either too GNOME
specific (intltool)  or too confusing (xlibs).

> On Tuesday 20 January 2004 11:03, Daniel Stone wrote:
> > Hey dudes,
> > I've just been appointed freedesktop.org release manager and am looking
> > towards a freedesktop.org Platform release. I'm in the middle of tying
> > up all our xlibs stuff (working out where existing modules are, cleaning
> > them up, importing Xpm/Xaw), and making an xlibs release, then we get to
> > look towards the fd.o Platform.
> >
> > Basically, the platform will contain:
>
> What is the "freedesktop.org Platform" ?
>
> > 	* xlibs - our xlibs repository, maintained by Keith/Jim;
> > 	* xserver - our X server, maintained by Keith/Jaymz/Eric;
> > 	  + probably won't release with first platform
>
> Doesn't X come from xfree86.org ? Or is this Xouvert ? Or yet another X
> software ?
>
> > 	* Cairo - this thing rocks;
>
> What is it ?

A vector graphic library that supports different output targets (X Window,
image buffer, PostScript). AFAIK people are starting to use this as engine
for rendering GTK+ widgets.

You can find more information on http://www.freedesktop.org/cairo.

> > 	* D-BUS - pretty fundamental, desktop-wise;
>
> Ah yes, D-BUS will probably be a nice thing :-)
> But probably not before KDE 4. Or can we support it earlier ?

Is its API already stable?

> > 	* intltool - the GNOME folks want to move it anyway;
>
> Something about internationalization ? Does KDE need/can KDE use it ? AFAIK
> i18n works quite good in KDE.

Looking at debian's description for the package
(http://packages.debian.org/unstable/devel/intltool.en.html) it seems to be
rather GNOME specific.

I'm not sure...Maybe this http://scrollkeeper.sourceforge.net/ ?

> So, at least for me to many unknown things to get to excited about the
> news. Maybe you can clarify a bit ?
>
> Bye
> Alex

Bye