freedesktop.org Platform - preparing for Release 1

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Wed Jan 28 18:39:45 GMT 2004

Hi Daniel,

your mail is quite terse, I guess that's the reason why there wasn't much
response.

On Tuesday 20 January 2004 11:03, Daniel Stone wrote:
> Hey dudes,
> I've just been appointed freedesktop.org release manager and am looking
> towards a freedesktop.org Platform release. I'm in the middle of tying
> up all our xlibs stuff (working out where existing modules are, cleaning
> them up, importing Xpm/Xaw), and making an xlibs release, then we get to
> look towards the fd.o Platform.
>
> Basically, the platform will contain:

What is the "freedesktop.org Platform" ?

> 	* xlibs - our xlibs repository, maintained by Keith/Jim;
> 	* xserver - our X server, maintained by Keith/Jaymz/Eric;
> 	  + probably won't release with first platform

Doesn't X come from xfree86.org ? Or is this Xouvert ? Or yet another X
software ?

> 	* Cairo - this thing rocks;

What is it ?

> 	* D-BUS - pretty fundamental, desktop-wise;

Ah yes, D-BUS will probably be a nice thing :-)
But probably not before KDE 4. Or can we support it earlier ?

> 	* intltool - the GNOME folks want to move it anyway;

Something about internationalization ? Does KDE need/can KDE use it ? AFAIK
i18n works quite good in KDE.

> 	* scrollkeeper - ditto;

What's that ?

So, at least for me to many unknown things to get to excited about the news.
Maybe you can clarify a bit ?

Bye
Alex