XML Desktop config files (was: Re: Tons of questions. And some patches

Dr. Juergen Pfennig info at j-pfennig.de
Mon Jan 26 20:25:02 GMT 2004

On Monday 26 January 2004 21:01, Matthias Hölzer-Klüpfel wrote:

> But it is still allowed to use one, for whatever reason one could find to
> mark the endianess of a single-byte sequence ;)

But in pratice it works very nice. The BOM is a NOOP and does not hurt. In the
Microsoft world there are more tools than Notepad that do it. Even the
(Microsoft) XML parsers accept the BOM.

Currently only Microsoft could support meta-data in their NTFS file system
(they have the capability to write multiple streams into a file). Under Linux
we can't very well at the moment. What is so wrong with something that
doesn't hurt and that is so easy to implement?

Jürgen