An attempt at solving KControl's usability problems..

Maks Orlovich mo002j at mail.rochester.edu
Mon Jan 26 05:49:20 GMT 2004

On Monday 26 January 2004 12:32 am, George Staikos wrote:
>   Some notes:
> > 4) Usually more efficient and faster code.
>
>    It is not possible for a generator to write more efficient and faster
> code than a human, in particular since a human wrote the generator.
> Perhaps inexperienced or lazy programmers write less efficient code, but
> this is not a valid argument.

Sure it is, if you extend the concept of a  generator to include an optimizing
compiler ;-) A program can do a lot more work than a human can w/o making a
mistake, and do so w/o code/input uglification; it can also solve difficult
optimization (numeric sense) problems w/far more inputs than can be done by
hand. There are some nice examples in some advanced compiler textbooks of
4-line programs that are automatically expanded into 3-page ones with dozens
of loops with bizzare shapes to get the peak performance. Having said that,
this is a far cry from 'usually', and takes an insane amount of work. And,
disclaimer: I didn't read any portion of the thread that preceeded your
message ;-)