Random wonderings (Was: move klicker to kextragear)

Klas Kalass klas.kalass at gmx.de
Sun Jan 25 14:11:56 GMT 2004

Am Donnerstag, 22. Januar 2004 23:46 schrieb Aaron Seigo:
> On January 22, 2004 11:33, Frans Englich wrote:
> > The reason I ask is because I find it hard to figure out what KDE "is",
> > whether it is a "DE-infrastructure with common apps" and/or if it is "a
> > collection of all possible KDE apps".
>
> personally, I view KDE as having several layers:
I very much agree with that.

> Layer 0: desktop infrastructure (arts, kdelibs, kdebindings, some bits of
> kdebase)
>
> Layer 1: a desktop environment (kdebase, i18n packages)
>
> Layer 2: a set of common applications to make KDE immediately useful to the
> bulk of KDE users (some bits of kdebase along with the CVS packages that
> are part of official KDE releases)
>
> Layer 3: a wide selection of additional applications that are based on KDE
> and affiliated with the KDE project itself, but have their own release
> schedules (koffice, kdevelop, quanta, kdeextragear)
Yes - kdeextragear is only a place for those apps that do not have their own
module like koffice, kdevelop and quanta. And of course it frees the
applications from the obligation to not duplicate functionality.

After all, the CD Burner race in the extra gear lead to a simply awesome k3b
(ok, k3b was very good before the extra gear started, but I felt like doing
some good press for keg :)!