Everaldo keeping kde in lock -- was: K-ARTIST: Icons, scripts and OSX

Dominique Devriese dominique.devriese at student.kuleuven.ac.be
Thu Jan 15 20:58:43 GMT 2004

Andreas Pour writes:

> If Everaldo made the original SVG icons, and just releases the PNG
> versions, there is no GPL violation b/c the SVG were never released
> under the GPL and hence are not licensed under it.

> The same would be true if I wrote a KDE program and released the
> binary under the GPL.  I would be under no obligation to release the
> source under the GPL.

Okay, since there seems to be a lot of misconception about this, here
goes: What constitutes the source of a licensed work is not subject to
interpretation, the GPL and LGPL clearly define it as follows:

  The source code for a work means the preferred form of the work for
  making modifications to it.

Please read the license before making any statements to what it does
or does not mean.  I'm not saying that to imply I'm right about this,
I'd just like to keep the discussion sane.

cheers
domi