Everaldo keeping kde in lock -- was: K-ARTIST: Icons, scripts and OSX

Luciano Montanaro mikelima at virgilio.it
Thu Jan 15 18:47:15 GMT 2004

On Thursday 15 January 2004 14:49, Dominique Devriese wrote:
> Ante Wessels writes:
> >>
> >> Maybe it would be worth mentionning that it is illegal to
> >> distribute the icons under the GPL or LGPL without distributing the
> >> svg "sources" along.
> >
> > Which is true if you take sources from others, not if it is your own
> > work.
>
> Where do you get that weird idea from ?  The GPL does not make any
> difference between whether it is the original author distributing
> anything, or someone else.  Even if so, this would still make it
> illegal for anyone but Everaldo to distribute KDE.
>
> Sorry for being so annoying about this, but I do think this is a
> pretty significant problem.

Well, Everaldo could claim that the png images are the sources.

He's the author, and he can say what constitutes the source in this case,
doesn't he?

In fact, if you regard png images to be "object code", then svg images could
be too, since as I understand the native format of whatever Everaldo used to
draw the icons is not svg.

Having the "native format" images is not useful for KDE, although the SVG
would be nice to have.

Luciano