[NEWPATCH] KConfigXT && $cxxsuffix

Adriaan de Groot adridg at cs.kun.nl
Thu Jan 15 13:09:07 GMT 2004

[Man, do I feel Neil-ish for hammering on this subject like this.]

If ..

1) a user uses the default KDE build system of autotools and am_edit,

2) _and_ has $cxxsuffix set to something other than .cpp (koffice, konqueror,
kpilot all do that),

3) _and_ wants to use KConfigXT / kconfig_compiler,

he or she is screwed, because kconfig_compiler produces a .cpp file, while
am_edit builds a Makefile expecting the output to have $cxxsuffix.

The attached patch to am_edit makes kconfig_compiler respect $cxxsuffix by
moving the output file. And fixes a typo in a comment.

It is important for this patch to be in 3.2 because otherwise apps with a
"different" $cxxsuffix cannot use KConfigXT at all in 3.2. Also apps pledged
to compatibility with 3.2 (kdepim, basically) cannot use it.

Of course, there are two workarounds:

1) Announce that auto* and am_edit are officially deprecated for 3.2 and only
unsermake use is supported.

2) Announce that all KDE apps must use .cpp as $cxxsuffix and shuffle stuff
around on the CVS server.

--
pub  1024D/FEA2A3FE 2002-06-18 Adriaan de Groot <groot at kde.org>
            If the door is ajar, can we fill it with door-jamb?