PATCH: kwallet lockup (#65978/#71048)

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Mon Jan 12 17:08:38 GMT 2004

On Monday 12 of January 2004 17:33, George Staikos wrote:

> > >   Exactly, reverting callExt for all applications will probably break
> > > many of them.
> >
> >  What do you expect to break, besides the popup lockup? I was only
> > suggesting that people might not like API-wise being forced to open the
> > wallet asynchronously, I don't see any potential problem with making the
> > call not to use event loop and only somehow handle the popup problem.
>
>    The GUI stops updating while it blocks in the DCOP call in synchronous
> mode without using callExt.

 I'm afraid GUI not updating is insignificant when compared to crashes or
lockups. Code in libraries should IMHO never re-enter the event loop, because
you never know what the event loop might do in the middle of something that's
considered to be "atomic" by the developer calling it.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer
SuSE CR, s.r.o.  e-mail: l.lunak at suse.cz , l.lunak at kde.org