Moving pop, imap and smtp koslaves from kdebase to kdepim

Matthias Welwarsky matze at stud.fbi.fh-darmstadt.de
Thu Jan 8 09:25:03 GMT 2004

On Thursday 08 January 2004 09:54, Ralf Habacker wrote:
> In the last case I vote for puting pop3, nntp into kdepim and leave smtp in
> kdebase or better put into kdelibs, because in kdelibs it would help
> enterprise application writer writing admin tools with email notification
> support.  Think about a new knotify feature sending email notifications,
> which will not be possible it kio_smtp is in kdebase.

I'd vote for killing the pop3/imap/nntp/smtp ioslaves alltogether. There's not
much sense to have them as ioslaves anyway. When they were "invented",
everybody was simply drunk of the possibilities of the ioslave architecture,
but honestly, ioslaves for anything that's not a filesystem is going to break
sooner or later, because the filesystem paradigma which the ioslaves
implement just won't fit.

The ioslave architecture by design is an abstraction. If you abstract, you can
choose to either lose the special properties of the underlying technology or
to bloat the interface. KDE chose to keep the interface but to bend it until
it fits. This makes it really, really ugly.

So please, make this uglyness go away with KDE4. For 3.3, stop using them, for
3.2, you're into deep shit already. I don't think moving the ioslaves to
kdepim is a good idea, perhaps you can postpone kdepim and release it
together with an updated kdebase package.

regards,
	matthias

--
Matthias Welwarsky
Fachschaft Informatik FH Darmstadt
Email: matze at stud.fbi.fh-darmstadt.de

"all software sucks equally, but some software is more equal"