Moving pop, imap and smtp koslaves from kdebase to kdepim

Ralf Habacker ralf.habacker at freenet.de
Thu Jan 8 08:54:23 GMT 2004

On Wednesday 07 January 2004 17:55, David Faure wrote:
> On Wednesday 07 January 2004 17:41, Ralf Habacker wrote:
> > Because all kioslaves are installed in ($KDEDIR/share/services), what
> > using application specific names for this slaves while moving to kdepim,
> > so that the generic names smtp/pop3/nntp are free for a eventually new
> > generic implementation sometime in the future ?
>
> The protocol pop3:// can only refer to one slave, not to two.
> You can rename .desktop files , but which names would you choose for the
> protocols? If you rename the protocols now, you break compat much much
> more.
>
> Anyway I don't think the slaves are THAT specific to the apps, that they
> need to be forked.

Mean this to leave the relating kio slaves in kdebase and patch it to make it
more general for other applications ?

BTW: I'm relativ new in this list: Can anyone tell me, if there is a rule
system exist for such decisions or has anyone have the last call for this
decision or is there a voting system counting the pro and contra and the
larger quantity wins ?

In the last case I vote for puting pop3, nntp into kdepim and leave smtp in
kdebase or better put into kdelibs, because in kdelibs it would help
enterprise application writer writing admin tools with email notification
support.  Think about a new knotify feature sending email notifications,
which will not be possible it kio_smtp is in kdebase.

Ralf