problem with custom XMLGUI usage

Simon Hausmann hausmann at kde.org
Wed Jan 7 09:11:03 GMT 2004

On Tuesday 06 January 2004 22:35, Dirk Schönberger wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to use the XMLGUI framework to describe popup dialogs for my
> application in the application's .rc file.
> The idea is to define some specific dialog options, so that the
> functionality of the dialog can be described at compile time, while the
> actual dialog
> layout can be changed at runtime.
> I don't really want to use Qt designer, because I don't like its generative
> approach. In theory I could load .ui files at runtime, but I don't think
> these files are particularly
> intended to be changed dynamically.
>
> Attached is an .rc file which contains my idea of a dialog description in
> an rc file.
>
> I have started to implement the necessary XMLGUIDialog class, but I run
> into some starting problems.
> If I call the method setup GUI of the attached class, my application
> crashes in KXMLGUIFactory::container / KXMLGUIFactoryPrivate::pushState.
> The appropriate factory() methods are called and the expected debug
> messages are emitted.
>
> Do I miss some needed initialization of the used classes, or do I have to
> override more methods?

Of course it shouldn't crash there :) . I could imagine this is caused by the
m_factory member variable not being initialized by the constructor, hence you
start with an UMR in the factory() method, where m_factory (by randomness of
uninitialized memory) was not zero and therefore the factory object was never
constructed.

Simon