More KDE-Edu icons needed

Frans Englich frans.englich at telia.com
Wed Jan 7 03:38:45 GMT 2004

On Tuesday 06 January 2004 20:56, Ante Wessels wrote:
> On Domingo 04 Enero 2004 22:34, Anne-Marie Mahfouf wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > In the kdeedu module, some icons are not totally Ok so we need to improve
> > them.
> > Having a svg image made for each creation of 128, 48, 32 etc sizes would
> > be nice.  Especially 128x128 is missing for some apps and OS X needs
> > that.
>
> If there are SVGs the rendering should be possible automatically, not?

I've also been interested in this. Nevertheless it is a /highly/ wanted
feature. It would reduce *a lot* of work, close about 30(?) bug reports and
all the latent ones, open up graphic development, save disc space as well as
a more functionality for the user.
The drawbacks is that the current ksvg implementation is way too slow to make
it practical(that is what I've heard) but that will perhaps change. And then
the icon loader should be prepared.. Worth mentioning on the subject;
QuakeForge(open source version of quake1) started gzip'ing their game data
and in the over all picture the loading went much faster because time spent
on decompression was multiple fold won back on the the short read times
required from (hard) disc.
Another reason to prefer png's is that they look better in low
resolutions(also what I've heard).
Perhaps the ksvg-team can give an update on the issue(CC'ing around).

Cheers,

			Frans