Moving pop, imap and smtp koslaves from kdebase to kdepim

Zack Rusin zack at kde.org
Wed Jan 7 01:49:35 GMT 2004

On Tuesday 06 January 2004 20:04, Dirk Mueller wrote:
> Thats why I think it doesn't make much sense to implement the imap as
> kioslave. I would actually recommend to do an extra thread like knode
> instead of trying to push a slave into a connection oriented mode.

You're not the only one. We talked about it endless times. The imap
slave becomes simply too much kmail behavior oriented and it's simply
really hard to make it efficient. I don't think anyone would argue with
someone implementing imap support right in kmail. A perk of such a move
would the removal of the extra mime code which the slave uses and
ability to use the same mime code the rest of kmail does (that's an
overstatement actually, since we use two mime libs right now).
In any way, the problem is of course who would undertake such a move.

Zack

--
A day without sunshine is like, well, night.