Moving pop, imap and smtp koslaves from kdebase to kdepim

Martin Konold konold at kde.org
Tue Jan 6 10:50:26 GMT 2004

Am Monday 05 January 2004 07:37 pm schrieb Ralf Habacker:
> On Sunday 04 January 2004 11:06, Cornelius Schumacher wrote:
> > When discussing the separate release of kdepim we realized that there is
> > a problem with the mail-related kioslaves being in kdebase. We wouldn't
> > be able to release updated versions of the kioslaves with kdepim.
> >
> > To resolve that issue we propose to move the imap and pop kioslaves to
> > kdepim before the 3.2 release. We also would like to move the smtp slave
> > to kdepim, if there are no objections.

> build a new application the the only requirements are at least the qt lib
> and kdelibs, which supports already some io slaves like ftp http gzip bzip2
> and file.  It seems to be very hard to explain the users, why they have to

I think it is a trade off situation:

On one hand having stuff in kdebase or even kdelibs means it is expected to be
available on many installations  and helps to keep dependencies low but on
the other hand it stiffles the development of those components.

IMHO putting pop and imap kioslaves in kdepim and  the smtp slave in kdelibs
is a potential solution.

Rational: pop and especially imap are afaik used only by the kdepim
applications (kmail etc.). There are not many 3rd party applications
depending on them for which you can expect that they dont have further "soft"
dependencies on kdepim. I expect more development for the imap kioslave than
for pop in the near future.

smtp is considered to not change much anymore in the future and is a very
basic component any imho should belong to the basic KDE API like http and ftp
are already.

Regards,
-- martin