Qt Cryptographic Architecture

George Staikos staikos at kde.org
Tue Jan 6 18:25:05 GMT 2004

On Tuesday 06 January 2004 13:18, Daniel Molkentin wrote:
> On Tuesday 06 January 2004 18:38, George Staikos wrote:
> >> FWIW, i recently exchanged emails with the gnutls maintainer and we
> >> briefly discussed how he would feel about the use of gnutls in KDE. he's
> >> quite supportive and seems willing to provide expertise and consultation
> >> to whomever would be doing the actual KDE coding ...
> >
> >    Not only is gnutls incomplete for KDE's purposes, but it's a huge
> > waste of resources to rewrite SSL support in KDE at this stage.
>
> But it sounds like a good idea to me for KDE 4.0. OpenSSL is a pain in the
> butt  (especially b/c wise as you stressed yourself several times) and
> GNUTLS seems to actively work on getting the remaining needed features
> implemented.
>
> It would also end the licensing discussions.

    I have no intentions of working on this, and KSSL is already relatively
large and complex.  I think it's a big mistake to try to rewrite it.  Far too
many bug fixes will be lost, and those resources could be spent on better
certificate handling, the only thing that is missing.

--
George Staikos
KDE Developer				http://www.kde.org/