RFC - Detecting broken KDE libs

David Faure faure at kde.org
Sat Jan 3 21:23:27 GMT 2004

On Saturday 03 January 2004 19:45, Dawit A. wrote:
> Hi,
>
> While working on unrelated bug I run into an interesting issue which I think
> is important enough to warrant at least some discussion.  The issue was I got
> prompted to take action on images that should be displayed inline on web
> pages.
What do you call "prompted" here?
"Save or Open" dialog? KOpenWith? "There was an error loading the module"?

> The problem turned out to be a broken image viewer part had the highest
> priority to handle such requests. Konqueror simply attempted to use it and on
> failure prompted the user for action. This happened despite the fact that
> there were other working parts with lower priority associated to handle the
> same request. The question then is shouldn't konqueror try all the available
> handlers first before prompting the user for action?
It does that already, see konq_factory.cc:141

But this only works if the "broken lib" is really broken, i.e. KLibLoader can
immediately detect a problem (like a missing dependent lib).
I think that the lazy-resolving of symbols means that some undefined symbols
are only detected when they're hit, at which point it's too late.