RFC - Detecting broken KDE libs

Dawit A. adawit at kde.org
Sat Jan 3 18:45:31 GMT 2004

Hi,

While working on unrelated bug I run into an interesting issue which I think
is important enough to warrant at least some discussion.  The issue was I got
prompted to take action on images that should be displayed inline on web
pages.

The problem turned out to be a broken image viewer part had the highest
priority to handle such requests. Konqueror simply attempted to use it and on
failure prompted the user for action. This happened despite the fact that
there were other working parts with lower priority associated to handle the
same request. The question then is shouldn't konqueror try all the available
handlers first before prompting the user for action ? Also, is it possible to
write a small app like the one attached to help determine all broken KDE libs
in a given installation ?

After playing around a while with "ldd" and the small program attached it
seems to me that a library cannot be simply labled broken because it has
"undefined symbols". For example, all the KDED modules and the kwin styles
are seem to fail with undefined symbols using both ldd and my simple program
that uses KLibLoader. Any suggestions ?

--
Regards,
Dawit A.