new kicker menu extension: konqy profile selection

David Faure faure at kde.org
Sun Feb 29 20:53:48 GMT 2004

On Sunday 29 February 2004 21:36, Scott Wheeler wrote:
> I'm with you here -- actually I think there's a pretty easy solution -- ditch
> "explicit" profiles and just go back to some simple cases:
>
> From everyone that I've seen using KDE there are really two "profiles" that
> people use -- I think it's simple enough to call them browsing files or
> browsing content.  It's pretty easy to differentiate between these two
> programatically and I'd like to do just that.

And we do just that already. I really don't see your point.
We have two buttons/menu entries to start konqueror, one that's starting it as filemanager,
and another one that starts it as webbrowser. The simple cases are already handled.

This extension is about a more advanced usage, where you save time (resizing windows,
splitting, hiding/showing sidebar, linking views etc.) by doing that once and saving it.
But you actually save time only if you can easily recall a profile. Currently all
kicker extensions are in kicker, I wonder if we really have to argue about every
new file added to kdebase.

Some of you want to make things simpler for the newcomers, that doesn't mean
that those who want to provide more advanced features should be prevented
from doing so, as long as it doesn't get in the way of the ease of use - and an
optional extension that's obviously not shown by default, doesn't get in the way.