LD_LIBRARY_PATH not being honoured (Re: Crash on launch with no X error message)

Richard Smith kde at metafoo.co.uk
Mon Feb 23 20:18:23 GMT 2004

On Monday 23 February 2004 8:01 pm, Martijn Klingens wrote:
> On Monday 23 February 2004 20:52, Michael Matz wrote:
> > DT_RUNPATH would be searched after LD_LIBRARY_PATH, but unfortunately ld
> > encodes the rpath info with the DT_RPATH tag (which is deprecated and
> > searched before LD_LIBRARY_PATH).  But linux ld.so supports an
> > --inhibit-rpath BLA:BLUBB argument, which makes it ignore any such tags
> > in the objects BLA and BLUBB (which is not very usable I admit, as you
> > would have to add all objects which have these tags to ignore it for the
> > whole process).
>
> Hmm, and in the case of Kopete, which has only one affected shared library,
> Richard and Duncan could perhaps also try LD_PRELOAD to force the loading
> of the 'proper' libkopete.so file.

That does indeed solve the problem for me. But it doesn't give us something
good to tell the reporter of bug 75328. In our case, we want to say, if the
user is using --enable-rpath, the rpath used should be where the libkopete
we're building will end up (whether or not there's already a file of that
name installed there). Is that possible with some automake magic? Is that
possible at all, even?

Richard