LD_LIBRARY_PATH not being honoured (Re: Crash on launch with no X error message)

Martijn Klingens klingens at kde.org
Mon Feb 23 20:01:18 GMT 2004

On Monday 23 February 2004 20:52, Michael Matz wrote:
> DT_RUNPATH would be searched after LD_LIBRARY_PATH, but unfortunately ld
> encodes the rpath info with the DT_RPATH tag (which is deprecated and
> searched before LD_LIBRARY_PATH).  But linux ld.so supports an
> --inhibit-rpath BLA:BLUBB argument, which makes it ignore any such tags in
> the objects BLA and BLUBB (which is not very usable I admit, as you would
> have to add all objects which have these tags to ignore it for the whole
> process).

Hmm, and in the case of Kopete, which has only one affected shared library,
Richard and Duncan could perhaps also try LD_PRELOAD to force the loading of
the 'proper' libkopete.so file.

At least I understood that when shared libs are loaded only non-existing
symbols are resolved, so preloading libkopete will make the loading of the
wrong libkopete basically a no-op, right?

--
Martijn