kdetoys/kworldwatch/zone.tab needs better maintenance ;-)

Matthias Hölzer-Klüpfel Matthias at Hoelzer-Kluepfel.de
Mon Feb 23 07:30:19 GMT 2004

On Sunday 22 February 2004 08:21, Michael Nottebrock wrote:
> For example, it still contains "YU     +4450+02030     Europe/Belgrade".
> Note that this actually a serious request, since those outdated entries
> will cause spurious cities/clocks to be available which all show GMT - I
> noticed this because I wondered why Chungking (now renamed to Chongqing)
> and Porto Acre (gone) displayed wrong times ...
>
> ... and don't anybody dare suggest retiring kworldclock, my desktop would
> never be the same without it. :)
>
> For reference, I attached the patch that the freebsd port of kdetoys
> currently uses. It was created by diffing zone.tab with the one that
> currently ships with FreeBSD-4-STABLE.

Hi,

thanks for bringing this topic up. I think it is wrong that kworldclock
contains a zone.tab at all. The entires in the zone.tab have to reflect the
zoneinfo available on your system. I think the right way to solve this
problem would be to make kworldclock use the zone.tab that is available in
the system. (Maybe it could fall back to the one in the kworldclock sources
when it does not find one.)

The only question is: how should we find the right zone.tab? Where is the
zone.tab, e.g. on FreeBSD located?

Bye,
Matthias.