aRts needs to be replaced (was Re: Disabling aRts in knotify)

Guillaume Laurent glaurent at telegraph-road.org
Thu Feb 19 16:56:57 GMT 2004

On Thursday 19 February 2004 17:34, Stefan Gehn wrote:

> And not every mediaplayer should have to code its own mp3 decoder,
> equalizer and whatnot.

There are libs for that.

> Then it could as well go and pump data directly into
> /dev/dsp because there's not much work left anymore and thus no soundserver
> is needed.

The only reason a sound server is needed is for braindead sound cards which do
not allow multiple openings of /dev/dsp, I don't see any other valid one.

> > > You don't want to set
> > > different volumes for different apps?
> >
> > That's each app job, not the soundserver's.
>
> I don't think so.

You really want a sound server to store and remember something as volatile as
app names and volume settings ?

> But that's the reason why there's arts. Don't reinvent the wheel all the
> time. Just because some app wants to adjust its sound volume it would need
> its own code to do so.

Again, there are libs for that. Such code does not belong in a sound server.
Keep it lean, invisible, and, most of all, *reliable*. The less code there's
in it, the better.

--
				Guillaume
				http://www.telegraph-road.org