System Bell - what a smell, so what the hell?

Frans Englich frans.englich at telia.com
Thu Feb 19 09:26:24 GMT 2004

On Tuesday 17 February 2004 21:15, Aaron Seigo wrote:

> On February 17, 2004 12:50, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> > On Tuesday 17 February 2004 20:39, Aaron Seigo wrote:
> >
> > > how about this: all KControl changes that aren't bugfixes (including
> > > styleguide violations) or in support of changes to features in 3.3 will
> > > go into a branch for KDE4? first, we need to figure out when KDE4 is
> > > going to come out, but assuming it's in a relatively sane timeframe i'd
> > > personally be in favour of that.
> >
> > Did we actually reach a result about the coming releases ?
>
> i don't think so... at least not in the form that the RD said "OK, this is
> what we're going to do, then."
>
> > Many (including me) were in favour of a fast 3.4 followed by 4.0
>
> (3.3, not 3.4, right?) and yes, that is what i recall as well. the question
> i have remaining is how fast a 3.3, and when does 4.0 devel actually start?
> in parallel as some suggested, or post-3.3? and will we give ourselves a
> year to work on it? or more?

Ok. Let's start a branch for KControl stuff then. Let me just clarify my
position - I don't suggest it because of technical reasons(such as the
argument to not change the interface in minor releases) but to avoid the
communication overhead.
Should we in HEAD move kdepasswd, add my new kcm and remove the other two, or
do it in the separate branch?
When should we branch?
BTW, when doing a manual move(so the history is kept) in a branch(if at all
possible), then the history is kept when the branch is merged back into the
main trunk, right?
Any objections? Any name suggestions for the branch? MAKE_IT_CONFIGURABLE is
my suggestion.
As Scott points out this will be mess to maintain, even after the 3.2.1 is out
I think. Perhaps HEAD should be merged into MAKE_IT_CONFIGURABLE(or whatever)
regularly to help avoiding conflicts? Another solution is to decide that all
commits which goes into HEAD::kdebase/kcontrol(or whatever) gets CC'd to a
person which commits it to MAKE_IT_CONFIGURABLE(what a fun job).
When should we branch? I prefer right now, or wait until the very beginning of
April, because I will be gone during Mars..(Yes I know, my bellybutton is
beautiful)

BTW, the accessibility KCM has a "Use system bell" setting, and the Bell KCM
has a "Use system bell instead of system notification"... They're
identical. /me brings out the big chain saw.

Cheers,

		Frans