Disabling aRts in knotify

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Wed Feb 18 20:48:56 GMT 2004

On Wednesday 18 February 2004 21:25, Scott Wheeler wrote:
> Again, none of the multimedia apps in KDE deal with raw audio.  I know that
> solution sounds attractive and all that, but it's just not a simple problem
> and there's no silver bullet for fixing it.  From a software developers

Yes, they all use the sound stuff which depends on arts.
Turning encoded audio into raw samples is independent from the api of the
backend (OSS/ALSA/MAS/arts....). The decoding step should also handle things
like resampling to the sample rate of the backend, to the number of channels
of the backend, etc. And after this is done, the decoded raw data should be
playable by any backend (otherwise I'd consider the api of the backend
broken).

Bye
Alex