Disabling aRts in knotify

Allan Sandfeld Jensen kde at carewolf.com
Wed Feb 18 19:18:25 GMT 2004

On Wednesday 18 February 2004 19:03, Russell Miller wrote:
> On Wednesday 18 February 2004 11:37, Scott Wheeler wrote:
> > But again, at some point -- I expect once we come up with some kind of
> > roadmap for 3.3 and 4.0 the multimedia developers will try to sort this
> > out.  It's also worth noting that there is no silver bullet; just
> > replacing aRts doesn't mean that everything suddenly works the way we
> > always hoped it could have...
>
> Could someone please outline what the troubles with aRts are?  I know some
> of them.  Could someone also outline a wishlist for aRts?  There's a reason
> I'm asking but I don't want to go into detail yet.

To start with it is missing a stable maintainer, and has lots of open bugs
even critical and grave ones filled against it (check bugs.kde.org).

Also it has no native support for more (or even other) than 2 channels in
stereo, and video support is a turd growing on the side of it.

As a media-layer we can't use it for encoding, and I have no idea if it can
even be used for app-to-app decoding.

The native GSL-plugin used for MP3 and Vorbis decoding stinks, and uses a 100
times more CPU than the equivalent plugins in kdemultimedia (again look a the
bug reports).

Then there are all the suprising and cool things that it can, but that no one
knows about, and arent used or even documented. Which brings us to what _is_
documented of aRts?

`Allan