KListViewSearchLine

Scott Wheeler wheeler at kde.org
Wed Feb 18 07:45:55 GMT 2004

On Wednesday 18 February 2004 2:12, Ingo Klöcker wrote:

> If KMail is one of the standard two places then you have probably
> forgotten that at least until the separate KDE PIM release but very
> likely even afterwards all KDE PIM applications will have to depend on
> nothing from post-3.2 kdelibs.

Nope -- I didn't forget.  KMail was just a handy example and I figured that if
it was decided that it's useful the kdepim folks could figure out where or
how they wanted to use it.  I started looking through wishlist items on
bugs.kde.org the other day though and it seems that there are several places
this could fit.

> > So is this ok to check in?  (Just the libs part; I'll deal with the
> > application patches later.)
>
> Again: Don't even think about adding anything to KMail that requires
> more than kdelibs from KDE_3_2_BRANCH.

Right -- that was part of the "later".  In this case "later" also meant
pending maintainers' approvals where appropriate...  Don't worry.  :-)

> But of course we could consider to add a temporary copy of
> KListViewSearchLine to libkdepim because it's really a great new
> feature. OTOH for KMail it should be possible to choose which
> field/header (via a combobox) should be checked for matches.

There's already a slot to set the searched columns.  I just didn't feel like
adding this stuff to the KMail patch since again, KMail has just been an
interesting (and somewhat obvious) testcase.

That said I'm not sure that it's actually a good idea to put the combo box
there.  JuK had that available for a while, but in trying to make things
simpler and remove GUI clutter I took it back out.  It looks nicer, is
simpler and I still haven't heard a complaint about it.

> Actually for KMail KMSearchRuleWidget should be used for this.

/me winces

That would really be overkill for this IMHO.  Most users don't want something
with a button to edit the regular expressions of their inline search or to be
able to search arbitrary headers for certain patterns.  ;-)  (Not to mention
the performance problems of trying to do regular expression based searches
within the time constraints of a search like this.).

Again, that's almost exactly the approach that I took in JuK (I have a widget
that represents a search line as well that's used in the "Advanced Search".)
and eventually decided against it and went back to just a line edit.

> So, I'm not in favor of using KListViewSearchLine in KMail though the
> backend could probably be used.

Well, there's not much of a backend (though that may change once some painting
hacks are done.).  The threaded thing is just basically one recursive
function and a stack.  :-)

- -Scott

- --
I hear that if you play the Windows XP CD backwards, you get a satanic message
"That's nothing. If you play it forward, it installs Windows XP!"